Sunday 12 September 2010

Epilogue

Would I do it again? At this moment no, it was a time hungry enterprise and the training was often relentless. However I thoroughly enjoyed it on all sorts of levels. Being really fit again has been exhilarating. Contributing to good causes, making friends with like-minded people and seeing the country, especially new bits, has been a rewarding experience. It also gave me the feeling that I could achieve anything, a real boost to confidence and ambition. The highlight for me has been the fact that in travelling the length of Britain everyone that I met, drivers included, was courteous, helpful and just, well, nice. We live in a great country.
Finally, although nominally an unsupported ride, without my wife taking all the domestic chores and pressure off me and allowing me to concentrate fully on my training (and making sure I trained even when I was hoping for a day off!) as well as being hugely positive about the ride itself, my brother driving me down to Land’s End, my sister and brother in law travelling to meet me at Ingleton, the texts from family and friends, and the comradeship from other cyclists en route all combined to make the adventure an awesomely satisfying experience. A big thank you one and all.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog - really enjoyed reading it.

    Reminded me of lots of great memories. Seems like a long time ago now doesn't it!? :-(

    I totally agree with your, "We live in a great country.".

    ReplyDelete