Sunday 12 September 2010

Day Four 28.7.10 Bristol to Leominster


I slept in this morning so didn’t get away until 9.00. A bright and sunny day but fortunately not too hot. It was a fairly flat ride until Monmouth. Crossing the Severn Bridge was spectacular and a highlight of the whole trip. At Monmouth I somehow ended up on the extremely busy A40 and dived off at the first opportunity which was about 3 miles later. It couldn’t really be called a junction and the road soon became single track and then little more than a cart track. I was expecting to have to turn back but after some sharp climbs I met someone mowing their grass who gave me directions and it turned out that I was not really far off course after all. It did get very hilly, somewhat like Devon again! Just short of Hereford I developed a slow rear puncture and decided to wimp out and call at a bike shop to get it sorted. Pulled into Leominster Youth Hostel at 5.45. My favourite YH of the trip, clean, airy and a really nice feel to the place. Walked into town for a meal. Six and three quarter hours pedalling, 71.9 miles and an average speed of 10.5 mph.

No comments:

Post a Comment