Sunday 12 September 2010

Day Fourteen 7.8.10 Helmsdale to John O'Groats


I intended to savour today and enjoy every minute. A lie-in meant I did not get away until 9.10. Almost immediately there was a big climb. This was followed by an undulating lead in to an even bigger climb reminiscent of Devon. Coupled with a very strong headwind, especially on the exposed run from Wick to J O’G meant I was not savouring the day quite as much as I had thought. About a dozen or so riders passed me heading south on JOGLE. I detoured to Dunbeath for ‘Shop, Cafe, Harbour’ – only the Harbour bit was true! The day had turned very sunny and warm and I was feeling quite excited to be nearing the end of the ride. As I freewheeled towards the signpost I had a feeling of relief more than anything, although obviously quite chuffed! I was surprised that there were no other cyclists here. In the hour and a half that I spent at J O’G only one more cyclist turned up. Definitely glad it’s finished and home soon. Four hours and forty three minutes in the saddle, 53.46 miles and an average speed of 11.3 mph.

No comments:

Post a Comment