Sunday 12 September 2010

Day Six 30.7.10 Ilam to Oldham


After a good breakfast I set off at 8.30 in warm and sunny weather, two minutes later came a monster climb out of the village which was hard work as I hadn’t warmed up. (It generally took me 20 minutes or so to get my cycling legs each day.) I used the Tissington Trail, an old railway track, for the first 13 miles – nice and flat. On reaching Buxton I was not looking forward to the four mile climb of Long Hill that I had driven up a few weeks earlier. It was a mark of my increasing fitness that it was much less difficult than I was expecting, and the nice long descent that followed was worth any discomfort. As I approached Stockport it began to rain and this continued all the way to Oldham. I arrived home at 2.30 – best Hostel in the world! A short day of just over four and a half hours in the saddle, 52.5 miles and an average speed of 11.3 mph.

No comments:

Post a Comment